In response to a recent pit bull attack against a group of children, local woman Cheryl LaBon seeks signatures for her Justice for Javon Petition.
This petition calls for owners of notably vicious dog breeds to:
- Have a visible “beware of dog” sign on their property
- Have the dog mussled and/or harnessed when out in public where there may be large crowds of people
- Always have the dog under the supervision of an adult when in a car or out in public
- Have at least an 8 to 12 foot fence surrounding their yard to prevent the dog from jumping over the fence
- Have their dog registered with organizers of any neighborhood block party
- Be responsible for all medical bills of any injury caused by the dog
- Pay a $2,000 fine if not compliant
When asked what inspired her to start the petition, LaBon said that “this has been a problem for a long time. These dogs are terrorizing neighborhoods, mauling and killing our children. I hear people talking about this incident—no one was publicly speaking out about it and one thing I know [is] if you got a thousand people making the same request and asking the same questions, they will get answers.”
The next signing location for the Justice for Javon Petition is Litway Baptist Church on 2335 Shell Rd. Signing times are from 5 to 7 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday unless the goal mark of 1,000 signatures is reached before any of these times. LaBon urges anyone interested in helping to call (912) 631-2689.
The original guidelines for the petition have been altered. To see an updated story, click here.